A blog about everything I love! From Astronomy to music and everything in between. I cover 'sudoscience' - We've got aliens, and conspiracy theories, disclosure, want to ascend? Me too..... Then I spin it the whole other way and give you 'factual science' with cool stuff I've been learning at university. I share choice music, books, funny websites, silly hobbies, people, fun and food. Join me on a crazy ride through my life on this wonderful planet we call Earth!

Thursday, 19 January 2017

Betelgeuse

Last night I got my telescope out to check out the magnificent night sky and was shocked to realise there wasn't a whole heap to look at. Well there was Orion which is awesome and a particular star worth looking at in said constellation but the viewing from here isn't that spectacular. I mean for 1 I live in a city and the light pollution is pretty terrible. And 2 it was about 8pm and a summer sky in the Southern Hemisphere. I'd just missed Venus and Mars until the following night, and I was far too early for Jupiter and co. My telescope told me the only solar system body visible was Uranus but due to my location (some ditch with a Terribls line of sight) it wasn't actually visible. So I found myself left with limited options of constellations with half its stars missing and deep sky stuff that isn't that great unless your into Astrophotography so Betelgeuse was my best option. 

Betelgeuse Facts
  • Betelgeuse is 640 light years from Earth.
  • It is classed as a red supergiant and is the tenth brightest star in the night sky.
  • As part of the Orion constellation Betelgeuse can be easily found in the night sky through most of the year.
  • High mass stars such as Betelgeuse burn their fuel extremely quickly, as a result they exist for only a few million years, stars such as our sun exist for billions of years.
  • At only 10 million years old Betelgeuse is already near the end of its lifespan and is expected to explode as a supernova in the next million years.



 


AddThis